Day five - ....


The alarms are set again.  We have to pack the cars before we leave this morning, as we are driving to Slovenia this afternoon. 
I’m beyond exhausted.  It wasn’t the best start to the holiday with a swim yesterday and I’m not sure if I want to paddle today.  The drive will be uncomfortable if my back is playing up.  We’ve decided to do the Salza again, but a smaller section from just above the gorge to just below it.  We get everything ready anyway and go on up to the chosen put in with Tomas, Marta and Cici. 

I have to decide.  I’m going for it.  The river has dropped again since yesterday so it should be a little ‘friendlier’, and it will be nice to paddle with some new people.  Once we get on the water I’m shaking again, largely from having no energy, but also yesterday’s swim is playing on my mind a little.  Even the section we get on at is big pushy water.  I’m too tired to sing my way through it, and I opt for just remembering to breathe as I go. I’m just about coping but there is no rest for me on this river.  Even sections between rapids feel like they need concentration and I know another rapid is not far away.  My back is causing me trouble again and it’s giving me a painful ‘dead’ leg.  I take a few breaks, and I do well through the section that had me out yesterday.  A little further down however, there’s a similar situation of waves coming in from the sides, and I have another swim.  I think I was pulling my deck before I was even upside down.  I don’t think I would’ve considered rolling here even if I had the energy, but I certainly wasn’t going to pull it off feeling so low.  My boat ends up in an eddy on river right and I had swum to an eddy river left, but Matt tows my boat across and I’m getting back in again.  I can’t help but start crying, but I keep on going anyway.  It’s not so much the swim itself, I’m just frustrated.  At this point I’m just making it through until the put out and I can’t say that I feel I’m enjoying it.  Another dead leg and pain in a later section of rapids, I had to eddy out and get out of my boat for a minute.  I’m gritting my teeth as I encourage my leg to move and the pain eventually fades.  Shortly after this I see some rafts getting out on a near by shore.  We’ve reached the put out and I put every once of energy I have left in to paddling to it. My notes after I got of the river read “F*ck this sh*t, I want to go home”.  I’m fed up.

We have lunch on the car park again, and I’m reassured a little as Rob said this is tougher paddling than anything I did in the Alps last year.  My memory of it all is somewhat biased as EVERYTHING was scary last year.  I’d hoped I would feel better this year, but at the moment, I do not.  I finally decide to use the more powerful pain relief the doctor has given me.  It has a couple of side effects, including addiction, so I don’t like to take it often, but I don’t think I’ll manage another 4 hours in the car without it.  It makes me a little drowsy, and as I’m already tired, I sleep for nearly an hour and a half in the car. 

I feel better after the sleep, and we briefly stop for fuel before leaving Austria.  Rob has researched where the fuel is cheapest, and our fuel stops are strategic!  We pass through a little of Italy on the way, and see a little bit of the Dolomites mountain range.  The scenery has been beautiful in Austria but it just gets increasingly more incredible the further we drive.  It’s not too long before we are in to Slovenia and at our house for the week.





The scenery has lifted my mood (as well as being temporarily pain free), and knowing we are staying in one place for a while helps too.  We have finally had a journey that has gone to plan and we have reached Chalet Soca in the daylight.  Rob gives us a quick tour, and the view from the balcony is just.... well.... I don’t think breathtaking even covers it.  It’s like it’s a green screen in a movie, and it might disappear overnight!




There is still more to be done though.  We empty Matt’s car in to the house and garage while Rob cooks, and after dinner Matt and Rob go down to Trieste Airport in Italy to pick up Clare (Matt’s partner) from the airport.  While they are gone I wash up after dinner, un pack Rob’s car, put food supplies in the cupboard (so it doesn’t get stolen by the Puh’s*), put all our wet river kit out to dry on the balcony, had a read of a couple of chapters of ‘The Little Prince’ with a cup of tea, as the light fades behind the mountains, shower and set myself down to catch up on my blog.  I’m a few days behind, and I had promised daily updates!!!  I manage to catch up with day 3 and 4 before Rob, Matt and Clare get back, and then we all sit on the balcony to chat.  We can’t see the mountains anymore but it is beautifully peaceful in this rural area, and we have found better weather here so it’s too warm inside!

It’s 1am before Rob and I eventually decide to go to bed, Matt and Clare had gone not long before, and we don’t have any alarms to set for the morning.  We are planning an easy section of river in the afternoon, after a lazy morning!!!  Finally, a decent lie in!!!

* The note in the house about the Puh's











No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...