Eurotrip, from the caravan to the Wasserloch.


I’m a little bit late in getting started with this so bear with me.  As with most holidays it gets harder to keep track of what day it is as time passes. 

Our trip this year began with a drive down to Dymchurch, near Dover.  Approximately 200 miles and the M25 was barely more than a car park.  So, it took a couple of hours, but this is why we left on Friday evening; by booking a time on a ferry rather than an open ticket we saved almost enough to pay for the extra night’s accommodation anyway.  It had also split the journey a little so that Saturday wasn’t too long.    After a blustery night in the caravan we all got up early, leaving at 6.30 to allow plenty of time for an 8.30 ferry.  We had no problems or hold ups and even though we had the tail end of a storm to start with, the crossing wasn’t too choppy either.  We had breakfast on the ferry, saving time (faff) and avoiding risk of being late to book on! 



Once we hit Calais the remainder of Saturday was driving through to Oberboihingen, Germany.  Here we had rented a small flat, it’s on the third floor of a little block not far off the Autobahn, so it’s an easy stop off for the night.  The kitchen wasn’t well equipped (no cooker and minimal utensils), but it was very neat and clean, and the shower was good, if you didn’t stay in too long or you’d flood the bathroom!  We started to feel the temperature difference too, and we couldn’t get the aircon working so it was a warm, but otherwise comfortable night before we got back on the road in the morning.



Sunday then took us on a short leg first of all, to Augsburg Eiskanal.  Constructed in 1972 for the Summer Olympics Canoe Slalom, and the first artificial white water course of it’s kind, it’s still incredibly impressive and still one of the most widely used. 



Our initial intention was to have a paddle here, however all the gates were open and it’s a formidable piece of water (I’d guessed it was unlikely I would paddle anyway) and the consensus in the group was that it’s big water for a mid-journey first paddle, having already done several hundred miles and with at least as many left to go, no-one was feeling on top form.  We were also unsure whether we were allowed on, as there’s slalom training going on ahead of next weeks’ competition.  So, we had a walk up to the Dam, and decided to carry on a while, and get ahead on the journey to Austria.  We estimated at least 4 hours, plus a lunch break.  Turned out to be longer as we had traffic through a lot of Germany.  We finally arrived, and we were all relieved to find that our accommodation for the next few days was amazing.





We had once again booked a flat, however the floor space at this one was huge, two bathrooms, three bedrooms, balcony, large kitchen/diner and some produce made at the farm available to buy in the fridge in the entrance hall, with an honesty box (there’s also some beer, not from the farm but very handy as stocks were low and the shops were shut!).  We got some of the luggage inside and went for a drive to scout the get on/off for tomorrow’s paddle.  We drove to Wildalpen where there is a local map of the river, which details the sections and their grades/distances etc. and we talked to a local or two to find out some more about the top section (including the ‘campsite manager’, we aren’t certain but he seems to be something to do with the campsite anyway).  A plan was made, and we headed back to the apartment to settle in for dinner and a good sleep.

For once I’d slept so well that I woke up at 7am and I felt fresh as a daisy!  It doesn’t happen often, and certainly not on Mondays! Usually I feel awful and I’m a horrible person in the morning.  So, I made the most of feeling good by getting up and getting the coffee on.The views are stunning and it’s wonderful to wake up and look out of any window to an amazing scenery, worthy of a film set.  We’re paddling today, first paddle of the holiday, and we made the plan yesterday to tackle about 18km from Prescenyklause to Wildalpen.  It’s all grade 1-2, so nice and easy, finishing at the white water course at Wildalpen, allowing for some bigger fun at the end for those that want.  It’s glorious sunshine, and I’m more than happy with the grade of water we were heading out for. 

This will be the first proper river run in my new boat too.   On a trip to Saunton a few weeks ago we picked up a new (second hand) boat for me.  It’s a dagger Nomad which has a nice rounded hull and should feel a little similar to my old hero to paddle.  Despite tackling some fairly challenging water in the Mamba, I just haven’t felt good in it, so we’d been looking for something else for a while.  I’ve managed to get to Jackfields rapids near Telford, a short easy Grade two rapid which I’ve never paddled before, and immediately started to like the boat.  I also managed to get over to a river session at Mile End Mill one evening, which has some nice features to go through (even though it was low water) and the boat gave me the confidence to have a go at surfing, and some ‘high crosses’ on the bottom wave.

The river lived up to expectations, it’s a beautiful emerald green tint to almost clear waters, and the most stunning cliffs and trees to be seen all round.  Like a scene from the sound of music.  This really is the sort of paddling that makes me want to do more!  Well within my capability, just enough flow to make the distances go smoothly, and a few rapids just big enough to get a splash and keep cool in the hot sun.  Along the way we all take the opportunity to practice some skills, with eddies, ferry glides, S-turns and surfing.  YES, I even had a little surf myself!  It is the strangest feeling and this time it was at a spot where there is a small ‘hole’.  Being stuck sideways in a hole (even one as tiny as this) for the first time is very odd, and after I get stuck once I must build myself up to go and try again.   I did manage to surf, and then when the camera came out it didn’t go so smoothly.  Always the way but I’m very pleased with myself for giving it a go! 



When we reached Wildalpen there’s a big surf wave at the top which Brian, Matt and Keith all played in, and me and Rob just watched.  Brian had the first roll at this point and was very pleased that it felt comfortable.  After battling cancer (I’m sure he won’t mind me saying – HE WON) it’s taken a little while to get back, and feeling that his roll is working smoothly again is a nice marker to show he’s getting back to where he once was (and I’m sure in no time he’ll be doing even better than ever).

When they’d all finished I was anxious to get on with the rest of the course.  Having seen it the day before I know it’s going to be testing and I’ve just sat resting in an eddy allowing my adrenaline to drop.  We went on through and the next few drops went well.  They are big but nothing terrible.  We then got to the last drop.  Keith is up front and I saw him drop over the edge…. (On larger waves you often see the person in front disappear for a second and I’m starting to get used to this now)…. But then as Rob got towards the wave I still hadn’t seen Keith come out in the flow beyond… I’d already started making my way to the eddy.  I’m not following until I know what’s going on.  I saw Keith come out the other side.  He’s not in his boat.  That’s it, decision made, I’m ending my paddle here.  I saw Brian go through and it doesn’t look easy, but he made it through the big boat munching wave/hole/stopper.  I pass the message to Matt that I’m getting out.  He waited until I’m out of my boat and safely on the bank before he figured out his line and went through as well. 

When I eventually saw Keith coming along the top of the bank, I shouted up to him to check that he’s fine.  The hole was a bit bigger than it had seemed from the bank on yesterday’s inspection and he’d gone straight at the middle of it, meaning he basically got stopped.  He’d managed to side surf a little and tried to work his way out of it, but it was too strong so pulling his deck and swimming seemed to be his only option.  I understand as soon as he was on the side he was immediately asking where I was, as he was worried I’d followed him, leaving a friendly bunch of German lads to rescue his kit!

Once everyone was reunited we went back to the car and had lunch.  We found a nice shady spot under a tree on the campsite, and as most people had packed up and gone home it was nice and quiet.  Once Keith and Brian had sorted the shuttle to fetch Brian’s van from the get on, we loaded up and headed back to the apartment.  Not before grabbing an ice cream from the shop on the way out though.  It was the only polite thing to do as we’d used the car park and the campsite facilities, even though we weren’t staying there.



The day wasn’t over there though.  Matt had suggested we take a walk to see the gorge and water falls nearby.  We’re all tired and I’m on the fence as to whether I want to go or not…. FOMO dictates I will go anyway, but these better be damn good waterfalls and worth whatever walk it entails!  We found the bridge and the path and began to walk.  It’s not far before we saw a sign to the “Wasserlochklamm 1 ½ hr”.  Soooooo….. is it 1 ½ hr for the whole walk (there’s a circular route on the map) or is it 1 ½ hr to the waterfall and the same back???  We decide to give it a go and see where we get to.  Very soon we saw the tributary and the little river is beautiful, hidden in the trees.  The path began to follow the river and there’s some fascinating shoots and drops along the way.  Then we got to the first waterfall, sign posted ‘Wasserloch 1’. Ok so there’s more than one, and this one is quite pretty.  The spray as you walk past is quite refreshing and helped me continue.  The waterfalls become increasingly impressive as we went on through to Wasserloch 5.  By this time we were all quite tired, the walk had been steep in places and it’s not easy going.  We’ve travelled in the cars for 2 ½ days and had a good 4 hours paddling this morning. 






On the internet there’s talk of the ‘mystery waterfall’ but having scouted the path ahead a little way it seemed to continue to go up and we’d all seen enough.  We made our way back down.  Interestingly, the water level had risen by a few feet in the time we had been there (we noted that some branches that were exposed/clear above the water on the way in were covered on the way out) and the spray off each waterfall was now covering larger areas, it was a little too cool by this point and it was beyond the point of being refreshing! 
Finally, we made our way out and it’s time to go back for dinner & drinks.

I’ll get you updated on the next few days as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...