Working the eddies


After getting my confidence back a little on a piece of water I’m happy with, we discussed our plans for Tuesday.  We decided that going back to the section between Sprenica 1 and 2 would be good for me if I spent some time working on it, rather than floating through, and then Sprenica 1 to Trnovo 1 would be good for the others to work on, with the option of running to Trnovo 2 if anyone fancied it.  The usual breakfast, kit arranging, and shuttles were sorted and we all got on at Sprenica 1.  This cut out the Grade 1-2 bit above which was a scenic float trip but not useful for what we needed today.

After floating through the first tiny wave train, the group split up in to 2 smaller groups.  I asked to have Chucky and Keith in my group.  Chucky had really helped break down the rapids for me after my swim the other day, and I feel I can learn a lot from him.  I don’t think he has any burning desires to be a leader and is usually paddling on stuff that’s not for me, so I want to take the opportunity when I can.  I wanted to try breaking away from my safety blanket a little too, which is why I hadn’t asked to have Rob in the group.  Although me and Keith sometimes don’t pair well together, this section shouldn’t be difficult for me so I’m not likely to panic, and I know he likes to paddle with Chucky; knowing they work well together makes the pair stronger, and it should be a good chance for me to learn by watching a bit too!

After the others break off, Chucky and Keith both start to give me little challenges and goals to work on in different sections of rapid, from ferry gliding as far over as possible and coming back, to catching as many eddies as possible.  They also get me to lead some sections and discuss various strategies.  I know if anything goes wrong they’ll be there in a second and everything they challenge me with, they get me to go through how I’ll achieve it, a plan B if it’s doesn’t work out, and give me some help where I’m a bit stumped.  As we get to the slightly more difficult rapid at the end I get them to lead through, although I partly wish I’d have gone for it myself, and I comment at the bottom it’d be great if I could do that section again! 

Having a small group helped my nerves and meant I felt I had space to try different things without bumping into anyone or getting in anyone’s way.  This is mostly an issue in my head rather than an actual problem.  Breaking everything down by giving me challenges kept me focused on what I could do now, rather than what was below.  If I know I can get this eddy here, and plan b is that eddy there or plan c the one behind, I don’t have to worry about the rapid below, because I’m not going there!!! Then once we’re up close to the rapid I can see the moves I need to make so the rapid is easy, and the adrenaline is kept to a minimum.

I get off at Sprenica 2, I hope at some point later in the week, if levels don’t change too much, we’ll go back again, and I can tackle the section to Trnovo 1 again.  It’ll still be a tough section for me, but with more challenges, eddy hopping and so on, I think I could get into a better state of mind to give it a go without the panic.  I take Keith’s car that’s been left at this get out (after Keith helps me by carrying my boat up the long get out!) and go to Tronovo 1.  I set myself up in a shaded spot on the beach and read my book while I wait.  The others are planning to work this section so it’s not a quick float through, I get to read a few chapters and enjoy the scenery.  I think anyone would agree it’s a very pleasant spot to while away some time! 


From the bridge at Trnovo 1
Looking up from Trnovo 2
Once they arrive we take Rob’s boat up to the car.  He knows he doesn’t want to paddle this bit, and we sort out fetching the van from the top while the other four inspect Trnovo 1 to 2.  It’s marked as a grade 4-5 section; at these levels a good grade 4 I’ve been told.  When we get back, Keith and Matt have decided they will give it a miss today, Brian and Chucky are going to paddle it.  They have some water and a snack, and give us a little head start.  We go down with the cars to Trnovo 2 and get ready with cameras and a throw line.  The throw line probably wasn’t necessary but as we had spare hands and there’s only two paddling together it didn’t hurt to be ready just incase.  Chucky said the move that had looked the hardest from the bank turned out to be fairly easy on the river, and they both had a great time running the section.  Keith and I headed back to the house to get lunch ready while the others finished loading the van up.
 
Chucky gets a face full through one of the final drops to Trnovo 2



After lunch we’ve planned a chilled afternoon.  Claire arrives this evening so Matt and Brian will be having a long drive to collect her, and Chucky needs to go shopping as he’s cooking dinner tonight.  Keith ends up having to do some work online as there’s a problem back at the office, so I sit on the balcony and read some more as the storm that’s been brewing rolls in over the mountains and down the valley.  It’s strange that I’m sat in glorious sunshine, as I watch the rain, thunder and lightning roll in from a distance!  The storm hasn’t lasted long but it has cooled the air a little, so it feels a lot less stuffy in the house!  We will probably wait until Claire arrives to discuss paddle plans for tomorrow.  I’ll be very happy if I get to do more of what I’ve done today!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...