Every day can be a good day

After the big adrenaline rush on Saturday, taking on the FEAR and smashing it, I've had a nice few days to reflect and relax.  I had a really good schooling session with Buddy on Sunday, feeling so calm after the excitement of the river, I added a little jumping and it all went very smoothly, so I feel like we are turning a corner, and perhaps Buddy is starting to settle back to his old self.  I was keen to get back in the saddle on Monday too, but Buddy was stiff and possibly just a tad lame (it looked like he might have caught his hocks getting up in the stable), so unfortunately it wasn't meant to be, he would have to have a couple of days off.  I did however, manage to help Keith with some flat pack style furniture he was sorting out for his sister, and I'm glad to say the relationship has withstood the test.  I've heard of flat pack furniture causing gargantuan arguments in couples, and just like the test of surviving through a family gathering, going on the first holiday together, and other make or break scenarios, it feels like a milestone.  We can work together to take down and re-install one of the most irritating structures known to man, without it causing mayhem or fireworks between us.

Tuesday was once again back to normal with a morning lesson, this went really well, with the horse and rider getting some nice relaxed canter work, which has previously been almost impossible.  Every time a student makes a break through like this, I get a little bit of a buzz, knowing I've been a part of helping them improve their partnership, and their performance.  It's this buzz that reminds me this is what I should be doing in life, it's the right path for me to be on.

As it's the beginning of the month, I had to head in doors for some paperwork in the afternoon, which seems such a shame when the weather is good.  The unfortunate part of being self employed, is that you still have to keep records, create invoices, do your accounts, and eventually I'll get round to sorting the tax return.  It's a necessary evil, but the view from my office is now much more pleasant than the brick walls and trading estates where I used to work, and the boss is pretty relaxed too.  Every cloud and all that! 😂 Having got the invoices done (these need to be done in the first few days of the month, so people know what to pay me!), I decided to finish off the rest of the accounts today.

Last night I started myself up an Instagram account to add to my web presence, something I'd been avoiding for a while because it's another thing to think about updating.  It seems pretty straight forward though, so hopefully it will turn in to a useful tool.  I was also keeping an eye on my blog post views, as I've had some really positive comments about the latest one from friends, and I noted during the evening it had got over 150 views.  This got me just a little excited, and this evening it's showing just over 200 views!  It's giving me a nice feeling of success, that something I've written has attracted so much attention, and is spurring me on to continue to write.  Of course, not everyday has the same amount of excitment to write about, and I have set this blog up to talk, not just about my daring escapades, but also the ups and downs of my life since becoming self employed.

I had a really big break through in my own riding this afternoon too.  As Buddy was sound again, I took him in to the school, made sure he was well warmed up, and worked a little on our own canter.  I managed to teach him to do walk to canter transitions!  This is something I've ridden through on horses already trained to do them, but the first time I've taught a horse to do it.  So, feeling proud of him and myself, it had already been a good day.

This evening I had to teach over in Leigh Stinton, a more recent addition to my client base, again getting a little buzz from finding a solution to their current issue.  With a little practice this should have them gaining a few extra marks in their upcoming combined training competition, and I'll be looking forward to hearing about how they get on.  Having a little chat with the client afterwards, she told me more about the riding club she is a part of, and it's given me the idea it would be worth looking in to, to help get Buddy competing, in a supportive team environment.  I've never been part of a club with my riding, we had the money to keep the horse and that was it.  My competeing ventures have been few and far between, and the more I ride and learn about horses, the less I am bothered about the ribbons.  (I'm still human, and a competetive one at that, so when I do go I still get the nerves of a show day, and the buzz from a win if I get one).

As I wasn't too far away from Knightwick, I decided to drop by to watch the paddlers from our club (Wyre Forest Canoe Club) having some fun on the weir.  After the Tryweryn on Saturday, and the levels at Knightwick slowly dropping, the weir looked dramatically more friendly, and I found myself wishing I'd put the paddling kit in the car so I could join them.  This thought was a little shock in itself, and I realise that some personal growth is being made.  It was a nice opportunity to take a look at the weir from the banks though, and look for the features and movement of the water that I learnt about on the T.  I said a quick hello to the paddlers and sat with my camera on the banks.  I hope I've got some worthwhile footage for them.  I certainly enjoyed watching, as the sun was going down on another good day.

So although these few days haven't been stacked with adrenaline, big fear fighting, demon battling excitment, that provides a good story wheter you are in to the sport or not, each day has been a success in it's own right.  I've been taking in all the little pleasures as I've gone along, and even the 'chore' of paperwork had it's silver lining.  I've been trying not to think to hard or overanalyse my trip on Saturday, just allowing the experience to sink in through my subconcious, and I'm certain it's sunk in as a positive one, and will now give me more confidence on the water the next time I go out.

Looking back on my time working in an office, I recall living basically from weekend to weekend, always wanting more 'things', that nice jacket, a new car, a new phone, some bling for the horse, etc etc.  I'd rejoice in the Friday feeling, enjoying Saturday or sleeping through it, and spending most of Sunday, only half enjoying anything I was doing because, Monday was on the way.  Always planning the next holiday, the next weekend away or day out, living in the future, and never really appreciating the current moment, because I just didn't want to be there.  Although at the time I had a bit of a melt down, and it was stressful time for a while, I'm so glad I lost that job, and took the opportunity life had handed to me, to change the path I was on.

Sometimes life hands you opportunities that are disguised as failures or setbacks.  It's only if you are ready to take them that the opportunity in them is clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...