Day 11 - End of chapter one

It's our last day, Rob and I are up around 7.30/8 and we don't see any point in raising the others as it's raining.  We have a lazy start, and I do a little pilates.  We all have breakfast and as the rain subsides we get ready to paddle and head in to Bovec.  We got a parking ticket at Slap Kojak the other day as Rob bought a ticket but forgot to display it so we want to get that sorted before we leave.  They tell him he has to go to Kobarid to sort it.... We decide to paddle first, and go to drop off a car at the put out.  I'm feeling a bit shaky this morning for some reason.  I'm not nervous of the section we are doing, but walking around I'm getting a 'jelly leg' feeling and feel super low on energy.  Last day blues I think.

We stop off to look at the levels in the gorge. It's beautiful but Rob was right that I'd be best not to look at it if I was paddling it!  The entry doesn't look inviting. We move on then to our put on at Zmuklica.  We are doing the section down to Cezsoca again as this is suitable for us all on the last day.  Clare decides last minute not to paddle today, she isn't feeling up to it and is happy with what she has done on the holiday.


It's a faster blast through than Wednesday, the water level is up which helps, but as Rob now needs to get to Kobarid this afternoon we need to get a move on.  We do stop off at the rock jump though so that Matt can have one last splash.  I then lead from here and lead all the way down to Cezsoca.  I'm ok with checking back on the others in the first bit where I lead the other day, but soon I'm concentrating on my own line too much.  I'm a little way off leading for real, but getting experience up front, reading the river and picking a line is all good for me, and I'm getting better and more confident all the time.

After we get off, we all say how content we are feeling after such an excellent week.

Rob and I head to Kobarid to sort out this pesky ticket and meet Matt and Clare back at the house to pack our bags and tidy up.  As it's the last night here we are going to the Pizzeria across the road rather than having a load of washing up to sort out.  It's a nice evening chatting again, we talk a little about how the big group of paddlers we are a part of is more than just a bunch of friends who get together to do a sport.  We put our lives in each others hands every time we get on the river and we all feel like part of a big, extended, quirky family.

We all get to bed a little earlier this evening as we have an early start in the morning. Alarms set for 5.00!

PS, please excuse the editing of this blog, I've been doing it on my phone in the car!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...