Day 15 - Gyronde, Onde and Le Lac


Keith and I have to get up early this morning.  As we did dinner last night, it’s our turn to get breakfast and pack the fridge for lunch.  Getting up isn’t easy, as it was 1am before I finished my blog last night.  The plan for today is for the group to run the Gyronde, and then the ‘big boys’ will paddle the Onde in the afternoon.  Last year this river was NFM (Not For Me) as it was beyond my capabilities, this year the group seems to think I’m capable, and after having such a blast on the Upper Guisane yesterday I’m game to give it a try. 




We go to the top get in and drop of those with the big boy pants on.  The very first bit is straight on to a Grade 3+/4 section so you have to be good and on your game from the start.  Keith, Chucky, Bill, Dylan, Tim and Jen get on here.  The rest of us head downstream a little way and get on at ‘the pipe bridge’.  It’s a little less feisty here, but still a tough get on to start a paddle first thing in the morning, as it’s still Grade 3.  You basically begin at the hardest part of the river, and it gets increasingly more gentle as you go on.  I prepare myself to be on top form by doing some pilates stretches with Ali while we wait for shuttles to be sorted, and that first group to come down.  Sam has chosen not to paddle here, but will get on where the river meets L’Argentiere slalom course, Trevor has decided not to paddle today, and have a rest. 

Once that first group is with us it’s a quick decision about groups and the strong paddlers that have done the top section split up, and take a few of the rest of us each.  Group 1 – Bill, Ali, Alex and Dylan, Group 2 - Chucky, Rob, Matt, Me and Keith, Group 3 – Tim, Gregg, Jamie and Jen.  The groups paddle separately as big groups on this kind of river is asking for disaster.  If one of the guys at the front has a problem, it could quickly turn in to a pile up with a big group.  Splitting people up also means that more nervous, or less experience paddlers have specific support as they go.
It’s soon time for group 2 to go, we are all ready in boats and we signal back and forth with thumbs up, before breaking in to the flow in our agreed order, ensuring we all leave each other plenty of space.  This gives each paddler time to see what the one in front does, where the line is and react, and also means if anyone has an issue, roll, swim or pin, we have time to manoeuvre around them, and find an eddy if needed.  The first 10 – 15 minutes is really full on for me.  It most certainly was NFM last year.  I concentrate as much as I can and try to use all the techniques and pointers I have in my tool kit to make it through.  It’s a continuous river so there is little let up in the technical difficulty, and the size of the wave trains.  It then starts to ease off a little, but there is still plenty to think about and I remind myself not to become complaisant.  It’s not long before we reach the section where we eddy out and the leaders inspect a broken weir.  It’s known from previous years that this weir needs to be run on the left side where the weir is still in tact, but that you also can’t go too far left as the water is shallower, and it can be a rocky landing there.  After a lengthy discussion and analysis by Bill I’m left wondering if something has changed, and maybe it’s more difficult, but then they are signalling for the group to move down river one at a time to go over the weir.  It must be fine it’s just Bill faff.  I think part of the reason Bill is so cool and calm on the water, is that he has a very analytical mind and likes to plan ahead.  Some of the others in the group find this frustrating at times, but this is why I love paddling with this bunch of miss fits, all the strong paddlers have different strengths, and it means the group as whole works really well together.

It’s soon my turn and I head over to Keith who is on the first Island before the weir.  He explains the line and I set off.  Bill is stood at the weir pointing to the line we need to take to have the best run through, and he says as I approach ‘PADDLE!’.  I’m floating up to a big drop off, the river disappears in front of me, and I can just see helmets below!  I do as I’m told and remember from previous weirs I’ve run, to not lean back as I go over.  There is a few rocks to miss (clatter over) at the bottom, but I’m through, and I go to eddy with the rest of the group.  Phew! I made it!

I’m feeling quite pleased with myself and now there is just a couple of little pieces to think about before a ‘bimble’ down to the Slalom course.  It’s still grade 2 ish and I catch up with Keith and we have grade 2 kisses.  Last year I would’ve been shouting at him not to get to close or to lean on my boat in this kind of water, so it’s a noticeable improvement in my paddling and confidence!  We eddy out on the beach here and take a wander down to have a look at the course, and to find Sam.  I decide I’m calling it day here.  I’ve had such a good run I don’t need to tackle the big features of the course today.  I get changed and head back to the course armed with my camera to take pictures of the others.  Chucky leads Sam through and she has a good run so everyone has had a good paddle.




 

 

  

 
   

 



We have lunch on the benches by the training lake next to the course and then the group rearranges again.  Sam, Trevor and I, are going to Le Lac for some sunbathing and swimming, then back to the house to relax, and Sam will start dinner.  The others are going to paddle the Onde.  We start to worry a little when they don’t arrive back around the same time as us, but it turns out that Alex had a short swim, and was paying back her kit chasers with a beer in the pub.  Once we are all back we have dinner, and it’s an early night for us all tonight.  I’m even getting this blog done at a reasonable hour, so I can have a good sleep too!!!

.... Or not, got chatting while photos where uploading and I'm late to bed again!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...