Day Ten - a mixed bag


This morning we are all splitting up a little.  Rob and Matt want to get in some more challenging sections, Clare is going rafting so will be doing some more challenging water in a safer way, and I’m going to my happy place and horse riding in the village.  There is potential for me and Clare to join the boys later on but given how tired we all are we want to make sure Rob and Matt have today at least to tick of a couple of places on their hit list, that would be too much for us at this stage.  The boys drop Clare in Bovec for 9 am to meet the raft guides at Soca Rafting and head off to get Bunkerji and the gorge below it that drops in to Zmuklica. 

I leave at 8am and take a walk down the road to the riding stables.  When I arrive it’s very quiet at the yard, the cats come to greet me and all the horses are outside munching their grass before it gets too hot.  I have a wander round and say hello to all the horses, and I find they also have some rabbits too!  Greta arrives a few minutes later and we get kit out ready.  She has planned for me to ride her horse Campari and we go and fetch him in.  We are chatting all the time and it’s lovely for me to be having some ‘horse talk’ while I groom and tack up.  She suggests then if I want to do some trot and canter I can take him in the school for a few minutes at the beginning so we walk over to the arena and I get on there.  Campari teaches me a little here.  As I’m trying to ask him to canter, and feeling a little bit of a fool, Greta explains he has been trained in a ‘classical German’ style and will take canter either from walk or from a collected sitting trot.  My back isn’t feeling up to taking a good collected sitting trot as he has a bouncy stride so I opt for going from walk.  After a couple of tries and a few hints from Greta we get canter and it’s lovely.  Now that Campari knows what I’m after, and I’ve adjusted my riding to suit his training a little more, we have a couple more nice transitions and I’m happy I’ve done enough, and want to get out and appreciate the scenery. 





We take a walk then through the trees and out to the river, where we let Campari have a drink and cool his feet.  I let him just go as far as he wishes, it’s not much fun for me if I’m forcing a horse to do more just so get an experience, and he seems quite content with that arrangement.  We then take the wander back to the yard and Campari starts ‘singing’ as we go down the track to his home.  Greta says he does this when he is happy, it’s a bit of a grunting breath sound that is in time with his footsteps.  We’ve been chatting along the way and Greta has told me how despite the vast countryside here it is difficult to find many trails to ride.  The government is quite strict on the use of the land, and you basically need permission to move a rock.  The hacking is therefore limited to roads and a few tracks that have been laid with hardcore, so the hacking isn’t very ‘exciting’.  It’s fine for me though.  I’ve learnt something new for a horse trained very differently to mine.  I can tell all the way he really is Greta’s horse, and not just because she owns him but as we are walking if she has to go behind on a narrow track he slows down to wait for her and keeps checking behind him with a little flick of his ears or a turn of his head, and when she is walking alongside he likes to stay close to her.  I feel he is protecting her as he knows she is pregnant. 

After the ride, I sponge Campari down and put him back with his friend to continue eating his grass, and help Greta put the kit away.  She tells me it has been nice for her to have someone come to ride Campari that knows what they are doing, as it’s good to see how he responds to the aids from another person.  Just because a horse is trained in a certain way, does not mean he will react to the aids exactly the same from another person.  I say farewell and take the walk back to the house.  I’m feeling grounded and serene. 

Rob and Matt arrive back not long after, full of the tales of their paddle.  They have thoroughly enjoyed it, but are both feeling a bit tired.  I still haven’t caught up on enough sleep, and being up earlier this morning I’m tired too.  Clare also gets back around the same time as she got the minibus to drop her off at the house instead of going all the way back to Bovec, she can pick up her things later.  We all decide to give ourselves a bit of a rest after lunch and reconvene at about 2pm.





Rob and Matt are then going to paddle from Srpenica 1 to Tronovo 1 and I offer to do the shuttle for them.  I drop them off at the put in and head down to the get out.  I find a place in the shade to park the car, and head over to the camp reception there to check out the ice cream.  Then I head to the beach to find a spot to sit and wait.  I’m not there long and I see the boys coming down the river.  They’ve done it in less than an hour!!  They’ve had a great run, Rob says there was some feisty bits and he was doing lots of bracing and Matt had a roll and strained his arm a little, nothing serious though and they are both smiling from ear to ear.  Matt and I have a little swim in the water before we head up and I get us all ice cream while the boys sort their kit.  A thunderstorm is brewing and clouds are starting to cover the tips of the mountains. 


No one has enough energy to paddle again this afternoon and we are too short on time now anyway so we head back to the house.  Clare has been sorting dinner and we sit around chatting again.  I catch up on a little bit of my blog and I edit some video as it’s taking up a lot of room on my hard drive to have all the original footage.  Although we haven’t all been together today we’ve all had a nice day.  I do a little pilates session in the evening to ease some aches and tension setting in, and we are all in bed a little earlier this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...