Day six & seven - now that's what I'm talking about!


Day 6

I’ve no alarm set this morning, and we had decided we would all start the day whenever we had all got up.  So of course I wake up at 5.30 and can’t get back to sleep.  At 6am I decide I may as well get out of bed, make a cup of tea, and I sit on the balcony to watch the sun rise over the mountains.  It’s so peaceful this early in the morning, I only see one car go by that has a boat on the roof; someone starting their paddling day early.  I do some pilates and have some cereal and wait for the others to rise!  Rob is up for around 9 and he points me in the direction of the local shop as we have very little milk left.  Unfortunately it’s shut, because it’s Sunday, so I walk back empty handed.  I don’t mind the walk though, it’s not far and the scenery is so good.  Clare and Matt are up now so we have tea and toast, get ready to head to Bovec to stock up on supplies for the week, and get our river tickets. 





We have lunch back at the house and have a look at the river map to choose a nice easy section for Clare’s first day, and to give the rest of us a bit of a break from the big stuff.  Following on from yesterday this makes me quite happy, as I’ll hopefully be in my comfort zone, and able to have some type 1 fun! 

After some discussion and checking out the put ins/outs we settle on Cezsoca to Boka.  It’s a grade 1-2 section and the cars will be close to the water at both ends.  While Rob and I shuttle cars, Clare and Matt get a chance to have a look in the Prijon shop, and then we finish kitting up and get down to the river side.  Just before I put my deck on I remembered I was going to try moving my foot plates to see if this made me more comfortable.  So I hop out and sort this before I get back in.  The river looks so clear and so inviting.  There are small ripples and the water is moving reasonably quickly, but nothing about this put in is making me worry.  I’m reminded of the get in for the Sun Run in the Alps, and that gives me some happier memories to settle me further.  We’re all ready now so we head on down stream.  I’ve got a smile on my face! 

At the first set of rapids I start singing, just to keep me relaxed.  It’s not tense and actually has a rhythm to it, even if a little out of tune, and more out of enjoyment than fear.  By the end of that little wave train I’m feeling great.  Rob says that’s about as big as this section of river gets, so any last bit of tension vanishes and I really begin to enjoy myself.  A little further along I ask to lead some and end up leading quite a bit, asking Rob on a couple of occasions about how to read the river and select a good line.  We catch some eddies here and there, and I try to spot and catch some eddies for myself too.

When we reach the put out I find myself, for the first time, feeling like it wasn’t long enough.  I could happily paddle at this level every day.  My leg fell asleep a little, but only pins and needles and no pain like yesterday, so hopefully the little extra leg room has done the trick for now.  Clare suggests having a swim, and we are all soon in the water having a splash around and a cool down.  We spend some time feeling the flow and swimming across it.  I decide to get my throw line out for a little practice, but it’s quite evident that in reality, a light 18m line is difficult to throw 18m, and even when you can it doesn’t get you very far out.

Back at the house we quickly put kit out to dry and get some sturdy shoes to go and take a closer look at Slap Boka, a nearby waterfall which was pretty spectacular, even from down at the river.  It’s the highest waterfall in Slovenia and falls almost immediately after rising from the Karst Spring.



The boys drop Clare and I back to the house so they can go and Shuttle Rob’s car back from Cezsoca, and we sit and enjoy a drink and a chat on the balcony.  I get to cooking once the boys get back and surprise myself by successfully cooking a dish I’ve never done before.  We had pan fried Hake with pasta and an onion and garlic sauce, followed by some fruit and chocolate tarts (Ok so I cheated and bought the tarts, but they just looked so good!!!!)  After dinner Matt and Clare took Matt’s cafe to the river to watch the sun go down and see some fireflies, Rob went off to shower and I set to catching up on my blog again.

It’s been the perfect day, but I realise around 10pm how long I’ve been awake and decide I’ll have to stay a day behind on my blog, and get some sleep.

Day 7

4am... ARRRGGHHHH!!!! Cramp in my leg!!!

Hay is being made everywhere at the moment!
7am... I wake up just before my alarm, and creak and groan my way out of bed.  It’s clear that today I won’t be paddling.  I’m stiff all over and my calf is tight after having cramp in the night, my body is clearly telling me I need a day off.  Over breakfast I let Rob know I’m not coming, take some pain killers and go back to bed for another hour.  Feeling a little better but still a bit slow, I get myself dressed and go in search of the horses.  I had found a place on the internet that Google said was a 15 minute walk away and a gentle wander was just what I needed.  I stopped in at the little shop to see what they had and picked up some fancy looking biscuits off the little bakery counter.  The horse place was closer than I thought, and I felt better the closer I got to them.  The man working in the tractor turning the hay came over to say hello and told me Greta, the owner’ would be back in around an hour.  I had a little look at the horses on my way out, to decide whether I was going to come back to book, and they all look well cared for, happy and content.  I gave one a little scratch when he offered me his chest, he seemed thankful and I headed back to the house again.  I went back after a cup of tea to meet Greta and booked a ride for Thursday morning.  She said we can go along the Soca and take the horse through it too.  She won’t be riding as she is pregnant, but will be walking with me and taking pictures!  


I get back to the house and it’s lunch time so I sit with some tea and biscuits before I busy myself with a few things.  Around 2.30 I’m feeling tired and stiff again so I take another nap, then shower and do some pilates when I get up.  The paddlers arrive back around 5.30 and they’ve been to the shops on the way through, so we are ready to settle in for the evening and have dinner.  Clare has found the edge of her comfort zone today, and then sailed through the stretch zone and in to panic, when a very rare navigational error by Rob meant they ended up in Bukerji before he realised they had missed the put out! 

Clare and Matt are cooking this evening and it smells delicious while I type this.  I can’t wait to see what we have!

Now this is what holidays are about!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...